El Jardin and Other Things

Ahhh...

It's Friday night -- an ideal Friday night. It's about 11:30pm here, and I'm stretched out on my sofa in my bathrobe, enjoying the company of the grand ol' green fairy.

So how are you doing, KatieKins?

Great, thanks. :)

So how goes the poeming? Pretty eh. Moreso, I'm engaged in community service lately with my poetry. Today, I read at Jardin del Arte in Edinburg. It was more of an art show than a poetry reading, but what was particularly inspiring to me was the overwhelming sense of community there. Everywhere I looked, there was someone I knew -- a hug to be had. I went alone (Bruno's been having a particularly rough time at work, so he's been MIA a bit), but I didn't FEEL alone. Gwah. I think El Valle is my home. I think it always will be. Gwah. It's a good thing.

If you know me, you know I have big dreams. I tend to think of these "big dreams" happening in "big places" -- you know, outside of the valley. I've lived here my entire adult life. I try to tell myself I've outgrown El Valle, that I need to move on to bigger, better things. It seems, though, that home is what I make of it. Perhaps I underestimate this place. Perhaps I underestimate myself and my ability to create what I need -- a community that nurtures and allows me to grow, a community that shapes me into a better person.

That's another litany of mine, I guess. To stay or not to stay? That is the question.

Other happenings:

Tomorrow I'm meeting up with a couple fellow writers to discuss our upcoming presentation at the National Association of Chicana/Chicano Studies conference. I'm presenting some ideas on Anzaldua -- just inklings I have about her, an interpretation of her work from my own odd feminist perspective, and how it might intersect with what I'm workin' on. See? Wonderful stuff is going on.

I feel overwhelmed with things to do. That's the story of my life. But only because I make it this way.

Comments