On the Other Side of the Desk...

Well well well...

I've always wondered what it was like to read poetry slush... what thoughts editors might have while going through "the stack," what makes them pull one poem aside for that ever illusive "maybe pile".

Well... I'm about to find out!

That's right folks! I'm reading poetry submissions for Fifth Wednesday Journal!

Today I read my first set of submissions. Its a bit... well... strange, to be on the other side of the desk. I certainly don't profess to know everything there is to know about poetry. My aesthetic is just that, an aesthetic. So, I'm a little nervous to maybe "not get" a poem and chuck it to the "no" pile, just because something's too obsure, or or or overly confessional, or my own bad mood.

LOL.

But that's how the editorial process is, isn't it?

And there's something (I think anyway) inherently magical about "good poetry," that makes the toes curl. Whatever the style, there's some special quality and texture to something that's "good," and I hope hope hope I can find it in the submissions I'm assigned.

Anyway, I'm thankful that my say is indeed very small with FWJ. I'm just one of many eyes that goes over a poem. So if I chuck out a gem, well, it won't be entirely my fault.

So YaY! I'm excited for this opportunity!

Onward! ;)

Comments