Poetry Pasta and Vino One Year Aniversary

That was on Friday. We, of course, had a poetry reading to celebrate! I can't believe it's already been a year. I love going to the poetry readings at Carinos :) In fact, they're my favorite of all. Never fails to draw a good crowd.

Here are a few pictures from the evening. The highlight was seeing the Texas Poet Laureate Jan Seale in action again, in addition to other talented artists including Brian Carr (author of Short Bus) and Xavier Garza (author of... too many to name!).


Ok! Edward, general manager of Carinos, even had a fancy dancy banner printed for us. Gosh he's wonderful. From left, that's Alan Oak, Jan Seale, and Edward Vidaurre.

Here I am, stressin' over my poems! I'm going through this phase where I try to memorize my poems and recite them, Dana Gioia style. Ok, he's the master, not me. But whatever, a girl can try, yeah? Oh, maybe not after one too many peach bellinis though... which happened to be the case this particular eve X-D Notice the empty glass behind that lovely orchid.

Me! Again, doing what I do best, twirl my hair!

I had to post at least one picture of Xavier. Man that guy knows how to tell a story....


So all in all, a wonderful evening. Pictures are, as always, courtesy of Illeana Garcia Spitz.

I hadn't gone to a reading in the valley in awhile, so it was nice to be out and about again, feeling all warm and fuzzy part of the poetry community. It sure is nice to be among friends!

In other Katie news...

I'm really struggling with a poem lately. It's driving me up the wall. I've been working on it for the past three weeks, and I'm ready to throw in the towel. Don't you hate it when that happens? :( I have mediocre scraps, but I just can't get the little sonnet to a point where I'm happy with it. Perhaps, perhaps, I just need more time to brood.

Comments