So Begins the Fall Semester

It's been a good long while since I've felt this exhausted, but it's a good exhausted. Adjusting to my new job as a full time prof and the new schedule's a bit of a challenge, but I'm managing (well, I think so anyway!).

Today was really wonderful. I got my own set of keys to MY office, so I finally feel at home. It's starting to sink in that I belong in this department now, that I'm a part of the university, and that I have a place/purpose here. All good feelings indeed.

This is where the goddess writes, or errr... here's my office.
And there's nothing like being in the classroom. I always feel so alive when I'm teaching. There's really no feeling like it. My teaching load is pretty extreme, but it's kind of nice, in a way. The only thing I'm worried about is making the time to continue working on my own writing projects, not getting absorbed into my students' writing. I've been pretty good for the past few years juggling being an MFA student, working full time, and being professionally active. I just need to make sure to keep writing and publishing a priority, lest I want to remain at a 5/5 teaching load for the rest of my life (which, my twenty-five year old self kind of likes, but maybe my future fifty-five year old self will not appreciate).

So, with that in mind, here are my Fall 2012 goals. By the time the new year ball drops once again, I will:

1. Have survived my first semester as a full time prof. No, I'll have THRIVED, being the best damn teacher possible. I hope to finish the semester smiling, in need of respite, yes, but ready for another set of kiddos.

2. Poem. I want to keep writing  I HAVE to keep writing. By the end of 2012, I want to have written a total of 30 pages of poems for the year, which means I need about nine new ones.

3. Submitting. I still need to keep submitting to reach my goal of 100 rejection letters. I'll keep at it.

4. Fiction. I want to try NaNoWriMo again this year, though it falls at a really difficult time. I've got a novel idea swimming around in my head: Juno's Midlife Crisis

5. ... Scholarly writing. I need to get serious. Like, for reals.


Comments

Post a Comment