Back at work!

So, today was my first day back at work for the fall 2016 semester.

It was a little bittersweet. Ok, more bitter than sweet. It's going to take a bit of an adjustment to get back into the swing of things, apparently. Even though it was just for a meeting/professional development, the day felt crazy long for my body. Ugh. Maybe it's because last night I ran six miles. Maybe it's because I'm not used to getting out of bed before 10am. Maybe it's because today I had to sit for about five hours, which I'm not used to, which means my back gets achy. Anyway, whatever. I'm wiped out.

This isn't exactly an ideal start to the semester, but hopefully by the time my actual classes begin on Monday, I'll be used to it again. I figure now's as good as a time as any to set up some goals for the semester.

1. Perhaps most importantly, I want to keep up my routine of writing. I want to be able to produce something every week, to make measurable progress. I think just some general poem generation would be good at this point. I'm not entirely certain what my next "project" is going to be, and I don't want to put pressure on myself to figure that out yet, but at the same time, I do want to keep writing and working, figuring that out. It might mean making further progress on my Valley Cultura poems with Corinne. It might mean working on my "Body" poems. Maybe it means something else entirely. The important thing is to keep writing. I hope to sort through the mess I create over the Christmas holiday.

2. Successfully teach this semester. This goes without saying, but I want to be a good teacher for my students. I'm teaching creative writing, poetry appreciation, and composition, so it will be a challenge to juggle these "preps," though I am confident that I can do it. I'm going to plan a big reading at the end of the semester for my students, too, to present their works in the community. It's a big project, but it's so worth while.

3. Successfully present at two conferences. I'm already set to present at the Langdon Review Weekend in September and the Texas Association of Creative Writing Teachers in October, so I'm pretty well set up for this semester.

4. Submit poems to journals. I'd like to send off at least one submission a week. I wish I had more time to dedicate to this because I have a book coming out, but meh.

5. Work on career advancement

6. Train for a marathon! Yep. That's happening. In December :)

I'm turning thirty this semester. So there's that too!


Comments