A Realization

I came to a realization last night.

I've always been the type of person who, when I want something, I get it. I've never been one to put things off, to delay, to hesitate, to wait on anyone or anything.

I don't like the way my stomech rolls over my jeans; therefore, I exercise and eat right.

I didn't like the person I was becoming in my job; so, I changed careers.

I want to be a writer. I want to graduate with my MFA and go on to teaching. But why am I delaying? Why am I letting the hum drum of life take over? Why do I always have an excuse as to why NOT to practice, why NOT to publish, why NOT to continue taking classes?

The truth is that I simply don't have an excuse, only flimsy ideas I like to call reasons. Ok, maybe I'm a little bit afraid but Katie, you're a big girl now and it's time to jump over this metaphorical hurrdle and just straddle life, and become the person I want to be creatively.

I've done it physically, I've done it professionally, now I just need to work on my creative touch.

I can do this :-) And I have a renewed ambition. I WILL do this, no more excuses, no more reasons. If I've learned anything in my twenty-two years of being alive, its that persistance and hard work will always pay off. I've never let myself down, and I'm not going to start with this.

So my game plan?

Writing one hour a day. No excuses! I will make time. I made time to hit the gym, and journal what I eat everyday. Its ridiculous that I can make time for these things, and not for my writing. Where are my priorities? I'd rather sit on farmville sometimes :-D

Publish. I will submit work once every two weeks, preferably once a week but at least once every two weeks. And I'm starting with Touchstone today!

Katie... you can do this if you just keep at it. Without a full portfolio of work and publications, I'll go nowhere. I can have all the experience in the world, but I just need to have my ass at my chair and my fingers on the keyboard.

Its just that simple!

Comments