Life gets complicated, and other sad depressing things

So where to begin?

I've been really down about a few things. I think I'll begin by listing those:

1. My car. It's sick. My beloved Cabrio.

Now you might be asking, what on earth does this have to do with poetry?

It does, be patient.

I was really looking forward to this weekend's first annual Beat poetry festival in Bryan, TX for a few reasons. First of all, let's just be honest and say that Beat poetry is kind of cool. And I was seriously hoping some of that coolness would rub off on me and my dorkiness.


And second -- I kind of wanted to check out Bryan/College Station. Because... well, A&M kind of has a Creative Writing PhD and I'm kind of looking into their program. So what a great excuse, huh?

Ok back to my sick Cabrio...

It's not going to be able to make the trip. Unless, unless, my beloved Bruno is able to fix it in time. But... but... he's so unbelievably swamped with work lately that he's just not going to be able to do it. I even asked my little bro to take me, but alas, no no, it's not going to happen :(

So I'm rideless, and stranded in this God forsaken Valle! LOL, Ok, melodrama to the max but you get the point. I can't go. And I'm sad.

2. I have a job

How can I complain about this? I have two jobs! And I actually love them both.

But, but... here's the thing.

They're totally getting in the way of my poetry funk.

Or should I say, my poetry is seriously getting in the way of my jobs? Either way you look at it, I've got a serious conflict of interest going on in my life.

There's two sides of me -- Career Woman Katie and Poet Katie. Which one wins out? Eh. Today, Career Woman Katie.

See, I've also been really looking forward to the Flor de Nopal Literary Festival coming up right around the corner. My dear friend ire'ne lara silva is hosting the festival, and I was really excited to make the trek up to Austin and join her. Oh oh oh it's going to be great! Even my publisher is on the schedule to be there...

But, but... at my university, THAT SAME STINKIN' WEEKEND, we have a new student orientation and I'm giving presentations and meeting with the new kiddos. So sad... so while I'm explaining to bright eyed and bushy tailed kiddos why English is the greatest major ever (which, let's face it, it is), I'll long to be in Austin, listening to all the wonderful poetriness around me. :(

3. I haven't written a poem -- and it's completely my fault.

What ever happened to prioritizing? Well, it didn't. And again, I'm sad.


So what am I going to do about all of this pathetic Katiness?

I am going to fix it.

Somehow, someway, someday.

Comments